Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday blues...

Hi all,

It has been a long, hard day. Rich isn’t feeling well and has a bad cough, chest congestion and fever. He is in bed as I write this. I think he got what the boys have/had. The boys are taking medicine for bad coughs (lots of phlem). I just want to get them home and go to the doctor’s. They have cough medicine and it seems to have made them ½ better but not totally better. Rich and I are ready to come home, it’s official. We both said it outloud today. We kind of feel like we are in the movie Groundhog Day where we keep doing the same thing over and over. If we could only have a car to get around…we feel like we are in a jail…oh, mean a hotel…sorry. Murphy’s Law…Rich is sick so the boys were especially on edge and wanting to push the limits especially Vlady. If we say, black, he says white…and it’s constant…one minute he’s sweet the very next minute he wants to get away with something…it’s constant…he wants to control everything. And now he can’t that he has a mom and dad. and..he was starting to wear us down today. I know in the morning that I will rejuvenate and be ready for another day! I really hope Rich is feeling better tomorrow. One nice thing that happened today is that Alexei is really starting to show Rich and I affection, kissing us and running to us for help…really nice. It was also a beautiful day outside today weatherwise. Rich and I didn’t even wear jackets when we went for our afternoon walk with the boys. The boys of course had to wear their coats and hats. They dress their children rather warmly here in Russia understandably. I would have only had light jackets on them since they have coughs but here they had hats and coats. They were sweating by the end of the walk and play on the playground. Fe, it was great hearing from you! So happy to hear from you. Shout out to Net and Juice! Also, Tanya, great to hear from you too. Yeah, I would never have known what a Blog was if we were not adopting…I couldn’t believe that I actually created one. Cyndie, thanks for making the boys new hats. They will love them. And Rubies? Can’t wait to see what they are…probably really cute if they are coming from you. Carolyn and Ellen – THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH for taking the greatest care for Jotsi and thanks for helping out with Betty too. We love you guys so much! We miss you and can’t wait to see you…only ahhh...12 more days!! YIPEEE!! Pano and Sperry..can we set up an intercom system to your house when we get back??!!…I’m sure that we will be calling you a lot…we are ready to get home and be in our own house. Katy – how is Anastiya adjusting at home? How was the plane ride? The lullabys were a gift but we have the website at home. They are currently playing so tomorrow I’ll email or post you the name of the CD and maybe you could look it up online..thanks for also letting us know what that yellow mansion is…can’t believe it …it really is too impressive for just a governor…although I bet Arnold wishes he could be governor of Vladivostok…as he seems to enjoy the finer things!!! It’s funny b/c you have all of these impressive houses/mansions around here but then there is so much litter down by the beach ..it could be so beautiful down there..if only someone would clean it up but they don’t seem interested in doing that. One cute thing that happened yesterday night was watching the boys watch their first bag of microwave popcorn pop! They were so happy and impressed and loved eating it and watching the movie. The next morning, I opened the door to the trash and Vlady ran over just to look at the popcorn bag in the trash. That was fun. Okay, all for today. Tomorrow is Sunday. We loose track of the days here. On Monday we are going to eat at the hotel restaurant to celebrate our official day that we are a family as that is when the 10 day waiting period is over. Tuesday Rich goes to get the boys passports with Anya. Okay, now that’s all for today. We love you and 12 more days to go. It seems long. If we make if through this week it should be smoother sailing…onword…we love you so much! Thanks for your comments! Jayne, Rich, Vlady, Alex, Jots!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne & Rich,

We're off to Toys R Us so we can buy the baby monitor to hook up from your house to ours so we can hear your cry for help loud and clear. Just kidding! Believe us, do we know Groundhog's Day. Ours began when we returned home. Here we were with two frightened, angry kids whom we couldn't even communicate with. They did show us a loving side too, but it was not quite as often as we would have liked it. IT WILL GET BETTER AND BETTER, AND IN A YEAR FROM NOW, IT WILL ALL SEEM LIKE A DREAM! But for now, we do understand. Everyday we would take them to a McDonald's with a play area so they could be occupied. They do have lots of control issues at first, since while they did have caretakers telling them when to eat and sleep, they didn't have a lot of other social interaction so they were pretty much used to being their own bosses. This too will change.

When we came home, we did experience a bit of post-partum like depression. It seemed like it was us against them but honestly, it will change and turn around. Our agency told us to look for 3-6-9-12 because at those months after coming home, that's when you're supposed to see changes. Well, we remember at six weeks, we're were like "Is it ever going to be the three month mark?" About the eighth week, we witnessed a major break through and every few weeks we continued to see miracles.

It wasn't all bad in between either, but until about the year mark, at least for us, it was a bit rough. We know that each situation is different but we want you to know that we are ALWAYS here for you. Please call us ANYTIME, ANY HOUR, ANY DAY. Nothing that is worth anything comes easy but we know that with the people you are and the parents you are, you will be absolutely the best! It's just so hard, this adoption process. We don't think that people truly understand unless they really have gone through it. We look at our kids today and think WOW!, they are so great! They are really so different, so kind, so loving, so fun...Hang in there! This is all part of God's design and plan. He never would have allowed it if it wasn't.

Just remember that these kids were taken from their familiar surroundings, even with the best intentions and are now with strangers, even though you love them and are now their parents. We used to joke that we'd bet that Elizabeth Smart was probably much nicer to her abductors than our kids were to theirs! What you are experiencing is completely normal. Just remember that we'd love to give you a few hours break one day or evening when you come home. You'll need it! We couldn't wait to be alone for a few hours. We know that sounds bad but it's true. Even now, once in a while, we try to spend a few hours together.

Rich, we hope you get well soon and we're looking forward to seeing all of you soon. Thanks for the update.

Love,

Pano, Sperry, Daria, & Taia

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, Sorry to hear that all the boys are not feeling well, now Your Big Boy too! Have you tried some plain honey for the cough? The dr. says it is a natural cure. See if it helps. Also, we were wondering if you have someone at home who is going to help you translate when you get back? My sister, Kim said she know someone out in her area who is fluent in Russian and might have connections? Let me know, I will talk to Kim for you if you want me to....Keep us posted on everyones health...Try to get lots of rest and try to keep positive thoughts. We love you! xoxoxox Cyndie and the Ku Gang

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne and Rich!! Rich...first of all, I sympathize with you. I got sick while we were there. I had a fever of 101 for 2 or 3 days, and I coughed for a good 10 days. It was MISERABLE. There were 2 complete days and part of a third day I barely got out of bed. MISERABLE. I wish you a speedy recovery. Did the cough medicine I left for you guys come in handy? It doesn't even taste like medicine, does it? Doesn't it have a taste of garlic or something?? Jayne...I would really appreciate the name of the Russian lullibies CD. I would REALLY, REALLY like to have that. I am sorry you guys have had enough. We hit that wall much sooner than you did! GOOD FOR YOU GUYS. HONEST. Things start happening after the 10 day wait..so the rest of the time will TRULY go so much faster. Jayne....can I ask a HUGE HUGE HUGE favor? I am short 1 set of inexpensive ($10.00) Matroyshka dolls.....you guys are probably going to have a souvenir day, right? If so, would you please buy me a set? (I bought them for everyone that came over to watch movies with our dogs, but left 1 person out.) I will gladly pay for shipping from California and the dolls. I don't care what ones you get...just keep it about $10.00. If you guys aren't going to have a souvenir day like we did, maybe I could have you get me something from the displays at the Vlad Inn? I don't know how I was off on my numbers for this! Ya know, we have only been home for just over a week, and I am missing Vlad Inn a little bit. I am missing the uninterrupted time...the little park...MOSTLY the water. We humans are such strange creatures, aren't we? Never happy with what we have. Anastiya is doing SOOOO much better than we anticipated. She is really adjusting SOOOOO well. And this week has been a HUGE week with her starting to take baths, going to bed without fits, and also brushing her teeth. HUGE. Anyway...I will check in on your blog tomorrow. I hope you are having a great day!

Take care!
Katie